Wednesday 14 August 2013

Warming the car in the morning: Fact or Myth?



  My Dad always warm up his car in the morning for 5-10 minutes without fail. When, I started to drive my own car, he always advises me to do the same. But I always wonder if warming up car really necessary? This is a controversial topic. Many people like my father will argue that warming the car before use in the morning is a definite thing to do because it will allow the oil to travel to all parts of the engine, thus prolonging engine life. But on the other hand, people like Mike Harrison, Ford's V-8 engine programs manager will also argue that warming car in the morning is a total myth. I quote Mr. Harrison words: “In the past, when cars had carburetors, engines used thick oil that required warming up, but today's thinner oils allow engines to be driven away sooner, making idling unnecessary.” Also, modern cars nowadays do not use carburetors anymore; they all use electronic fuel injectors.

  So, what is the answer for this issue? Well, Mike Perry, a veteran mechanic with General Motor said: “What I tell my customers when they’ve asked me this question over the years: in ordinary summer, spring, or fall weather – get into your car, start the engine, and while putting on your seat belt, getting comfortable, checking your mirrors and turning on your radio, 30-45 seconds have passed, so put it in gear and off you go.”

  Therefore, unless you live in extremely cold place like Alaska, you don’t have to warm up your car for 5-10 minutes anymore. Mike Perry said 30-45 seconds is all you need.
There you go folks, have a nice day and remember to always drive safely!
Note: Liqui Moly motor oils have been proven to make engines run smoother in cold and hot temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment